Saturday, January 12, 2008

Missionary work rocks!!

This is our adorable friend Erna. Sterling and I met her about three months ago when the missionaries asked us if we would give her a ride to church. We have been giving her a ride ever since. She is from Mongolia and is here learning English. She has become a good friend and we have a lot of fun together.(this week we are trying ice skating)
Today she was baptized. I sort of felt like I was back on my mission today. There was hardly anyone there when we arrived at the church...I went in to panic mode thinking how very important this day would be and stressed that no one was there but the missionaries and ward mission leader. And then like clockwork the members started showing up and the room became very full. After her baptism, she bore the most beautiful testimony.
I love missionary work and love seeing the gospel change people's lives.

10 comments:

It's Been a Day! said...

what a great day that must have been. How fun that you have gotten to know her so well. You have always been such a great friend to everyone.

p.s. No more virginia for the good old mckinnon's. It's now NYC!! But it's still east coast, so we'll have to get together when I go to visit.

The Pixton Family said...

That's so cool! I loved it when Jim was the ward mission leader. Those experiences are the best.

Jill said...

Thank you for that story. You are a wonderful missionary!

Lacy said...

First of all-- way cute dress.
You are such a good example to me!! I am so lucky to have you as my friend!

Josh and Lar said...

awesome post, what a neat story. and I love your dress! in fact, I'm pretty sure I'm getting it next week for my birthday. Sorry to copy you, but who can resist follwoing after your great fashion sense, Jess!?

Hema and Becky said...

Wow! That is so cool. It is so awesome to get to participate in mission work!!

Ash said...

Jess you just keep on going. I love it. Its amazing how you can change people's lives. She will always remember you! darling dress!

The Crazy Clawson's said...

wow that is so great, im sure you thought of the good old days in Russia.....cant wait for you get back out here....

becky said...

Jessica,

How is it possible that I have not spent more time with you before now?! (Actually, you are so awesome that I bet you're way in demand for hangouts with EVERYONE!) I just love you!!! :)

Jen said...

You are the most amazing person ever and I miss you like crazy!!!! How much fun is it going to be when we are all in Russia as cute little old senior missionaries? We ARE going together right????? Who else is going to wake you up at nine when your alarm clock has "fooled" you for the third time? LOL