Monday, July 30, 2012

Our Garden

Way back in March for family night, we started our garden. We carefully planted all the seeds and even let the boys help a little. We planted 3 kinds of tomatoes; Cherry, Roma and Beefsteak. We also planted bell peppers, jalapenos, and zucchini.

We brought the seeds inside to germinate under a light and here they sat for the next month and a half. I watered them everyday and spent hours just staring at the dirt, waiting to see something.

Within weeks, everything was up and thriving.
We transplanted the young plants into barrels outside and let the sun do its thing.

They suffered a bit of shock the first week and then took off.

Sterling built me these amazing bamboo cages to contain my tomatoes. I love them!

Here is our first and only zucchini. We waited till the perfect day to pick it with the boys.

They loved it almost as much as we did. I made it into some delicious zucchini bread that was devoured in 2 days.

I started my herbs weeks after we transplanted everything outside.

It was a slow start, but now they are growing like crazy. I have basil, cilantro, chives, thyme, and oregano. The fresh cilantro has been our favorite.
We also planted acorn and butternut squash in the ground along our fence but I didn't get a good picture yet. They are behind our row of sunflowers that we are battling the birds for. The birds here are ridiculously selfish when it comes to gardens. They take everything if you don't net it right away.

We are loving our garden. We have 30 or so tomatoes that we are just waiting to try. It has been a weird growing season so we'll see how everything else goes. I look forward to many more years of gardening.

2 comments:

Jen Pixton said...

Way to go! I remember the little seeds when we were out visiting.

kesli said...

Look at that garden. Way to go. Thanks for the birthday message. Hope you are all doing well out there.