Tuesday, June 28, 2011

DELMARVA

We went out to the Chincoteague and Assateague Islands on the Eastern Shore over the weekend. (See the map below.)


We were planning on leaving early Saturday morning but then Sterling called on Friday afternoon and said, "I'm leaving work early, I booked us a place to stay, and we're leaving in about two hours." Needless to say, I was thrilled!

As we were driving out there, Sterling told me that the place we were going on the Eastern shore is also called Delmarva (Get it--Delaware, Maryland, Virginia). I thought he was pulling my chain until I saw the signs. We stayed in a little bungalow on Chincoteague Island that looked across the water to Assateague Island down on the lower tip of the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

Sterling Henry was just as excited. See for yourselves.
Dellin was his calm collected self.

We stopped for some fast food. We discovered that Sonic may have the best drinks, but the food is terrible. The boys were happy to get out and run regardless of the food quality.

We got in after dark to our place and the mosquitos were out in full force. In the morning we discovered just how cute the place really was. Here's our bungalow.

And here was the view right out the door overlooking the channel to Assateague Island. If you look closely, you can see the Assateague Lighthouse in the distance to the left of Little Man.

Our place had its own dock.

We grabbed some breakfast and headed to the beach. The weather was absolutely perfect. I sat under a big umbrella most of the day and let the boys play. I can't take enough pictures of my cute boys.

The boys loved the sand. I am always amazed at how much time can be spent doing this.

Gouverneur slept most of the time under the umbrella. He loved his first beach trip.

The boys played all day, and at the end were just lying on the sand playing with their shovels. And they passed out just seconds after we put them in the car.

We stopped for some dinner at Friendlys. It really was a pretty friendly place. This dessert sold me on the place. It's called The Monster and the boys loved it!
The weekend was a hit. With the beach being just 3 hours away, we will definitely be taking the boys back to Delmarva. (I love saying Delmarva btw.)

4 comments:

Brandi said...

I love saying it too. It just slides off my tongue. Next time we stop by we will have to go to the beach. It looks so pretty. We can't wait to see you guys in a month. Yahooo!

Austin and Abrielle said...

So fun!

It's Been a Day! said...

Pretty sure you do more in a day with your boys than I do in a week with my kids!!

And I used to stop at friendly's on the way home from middle school sometimes and get myself an ice cream cone! Oh the mems. Brent's family is in love with the peanut butter sauce from friendlys. It really is amazing!

And I'm a huge fan of sonic drinks. The food is not good. But the drinks are amazing.

Matt and Ness said...

How fun! Your boys are too cute.