Every year when they predict snow in the DC area, everyone starts getting nervous. Usually when it snows, we only get 2-6 inches. In the past, we have had church canceled and public schools are usually canceled as well. Plow trucks are few and far between here so it takes a while to get everything cleared. Not to mention the amount of ice that builds up on the streets.
All week last week they were predicting an EPIC snowstorm to hit the east coast. I didn't take it too serious since in the past they haven't been very bad. On Friday, I headed to Costco to pick up my usual things. When I pulled into the parking lot, they had police helping with traffic. First thing I thought of was it must be because it is the weekend before Christmas. As I was walking in and saw people leaving with 8-9 gallons of milk I remember the snowstorm. As I cruised through the store, I was tempted to load up but remembered that we do have food storage if we needed it. Many stores in the area ran out of milk, bread, eggs, toilet paper (the last thing anyone wants to run out of), flour, and any other basic thing you might need. Sterling ran to Home Depot on Friday night for some unrelated things, and people were leaving the store with multiple snow shovels and BAGS of ice melter and many other survival mode items.
The snow started Friday night and didn't stop till Sunday morning. It was EPIC! We got over 2 feet of snow and it looks like a beautiful winter wonderland outside. We didn't even leave the house all day on Saturday and only ventured out for an hour yesterday (Sunday) to deliver treats to some families in the ward. On our way to the 4th house we got completely stuck and had to have neighbors push us out. I have NEVER seen anything like this before. I LOVE IT! What a better way to get in the Christmas spirit.
Sterling Henry LOVED the snow.
Probably one of my favorite things ever about storms in Virginia. Everyone puts their wipers up so they don't get frozen.
Public schools are still canceled for today and I am sure many people are staying home from work. This really has been an EPIC snowstorm, and I am happy to report that we have survived. I wish the best of luck to all our friends whose flights have been delayed and are trying to fly out of here to see loved ones.
I did finish three quilt tops and we managed to watch 6 movies over the weekend. In all, we loved out snowed-in weekend!
8 comments:
That is awesome! We are still counting our blessings we were in the area the right weekend! I'm sure it would have been cool to see, but we would have been stranded and our kids home alone!
I'm not sure I would have even ventured out for a few hours. Maybe we should all start stock piling toilet paper in our storage so that we can sell it when the big one hits, I bet people would pay good money for it! You look GREAT by the way, by the looks of that picture, it doesn't look like the baby is supposed to be coming in only 4 weeks!
Glad you guys survived!
That is awesome! I love big snow storms too.
Snow always makes Christmas that much more fun. I love the pictures. I cant believe that you are due so soon!
I can't believe how much snow you got! you put utah to shame! have a great christmas!
p.s. I love your coat...
How fun!!!We had a storm like that last year here and I'm really missing the snow this year!!! Hope you don't freeze and that it melts soon so that the city will open back up!!
i'm amazed at how much snow you got. so crazy. looks like it was a very white christmas.
Post a Comment