The best part about our trip to England was that there were no interruptions. No TV. No internet. Not phones. It was wonderful. We were together all day everyday and WE LOVED IT. I realize this was not reality but it was fun for two weeks.
This will be the last group of pictures, so I hope you enjoy!
The Peak District was another area that I was pumped to go to. (Thank you Jane Austen!) Little did I know that we would stumble on the exact spot where both the new and old Pride and Prejudice were filmed. The EXACT area where Elizabeth stood. I was a little nervous climbing up to this area so Sterling posed for the picture. (The peaks were pretty intense and it was windy.)
Next we headed to Chatsworth. This is where they filmed Pemberly in the new Pride and Prejudice and they think that Chatsworth is what inspired Jane Austen's Pemberly.
The floors were just as cute in real life.
They have the bust of Mr. Darcy from the movie.
The gardens were beautiful. We walked all around them for a long time. Sterling Henry was sitting on the grass and I was throwing bread to these ducks so they would come close to him. It was really cute until one the the monsters BIT HIS TOE! I seriously wanted to kick it but decided to console my frightened child instead. NEVER AGAIN DUCKS!!!
We stayed in the town where Shakespeare was buried and went to the church the next day. It was pretty cool to see his grave. (Sterling Henry was really into it if you can't tell.)
This was a cute street close to the Shakespeare church.
Next we went to Warwick. This is as close as we got. It was an awesome castle but had been turned into a super expensive kind of dungeon and dragons theme park for kids, so we only took a picture from the outside. We don't feel cheated one bit!
Blenheim Palace was our next stop. This was the birthplace of Winston Churchill.
The next day we went to LONDON. We left London to the end for good reason. We knew we would wear ourselves out and wanted to do that last. The first place we headed was the British Museum. This was probably one of my favorites places we went. It was packed full of such amazing things like the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles, the beautiful sculptures from the Parthenon in Athens.
The place was also packed for a Egyptian paintings and statutes and even had a mummy of Cleopatra (a Cleopatra, not the Cleopatra). I was completely blown away by how much they had.
We also went to the British Library where I was able to see Jane Austen's personal journals and some of her correspondences and the British National Gallery. Trafalgar square was pretty exciting also. Here is Sterling with the huge monument they have for Lord Nelson.
I loved seeing Big Ben.
The next day we went to the Tower of London. The Tower had so many interesting parts. Seeing the Crown Jewels were a definite highlight.
A bridge next to the tower.
One of the coolest things we did in London was climb to the top of the St. Pauls's Cathedral. It almost killed me but it was worth it. From the top we could see all of London.
Westminster was everything I had hoped it would be. I loved it. We went to a service and really enjoyed it... plus it was free that way!
On the last day we went to the Kew Gardens. They were really beautiful and it was nice to be out of the city.
Our last site we saw was Hampton Court. I thought that Hampton Court was beautiful. It was interesting to see parts from the real Tudor world. Who knew they ate so well???
The gardens there were the most pristine gardens we saw on the trip. I loved them. They were so organized and well kept.
I am sad our trip is over but will never forget all the fabulous memories that we made. Sterling starts work on Tuesday so we are ready to start real life again.
I am almost 20 weeks along and we will find out what we are having this week. This pregnancy has gone by so fast. We are looking forward to being home for a while and getting ready for number 2.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
ENGLAND PART 3
Posted by
Jessica F.
at
11:15 AM
Labels: England, Time to Take a Trip
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
That looks so awesome. I told Jason that we have to go. He said "we have more important things to do. . . like hunting. Maybe you can invite me on your next trip. I am breaking out the scrapbooks and reliving the "London Experience".
I LOVE Blenheim Palace. One of my favorite places in England. And LOVE LOVE LOVED the Kew Gardens, too! I had forgotten about that place!
What a fun vacation! I have never been to Europe but seeing your pics really makes me want to go. I enjoyed seeing all the places that you got to visit!
mmm i love london so much. so glad that you went to a service at westminster, going to evensong was definitely the highlight of our trip there this summer, and when i went a few years ago. also, good call on warwick. super touristy and lots of creepy wax figurines. also i was attacked by a peacock there and that was no good.
AMAZING! I love the pictures in Pemberly, Big Ben, all of it basically. you guys pakced in so much. What a great trip!
Ahh!! I am so jealous!! I loved London! I would love to go back some day! Looks like you had a fabulous trip! As far as the gross ducks are concerned.... now you know why I have such a strong aversion to fowl.
I am so sad that your England posts are over! I was loving them.
Hey Jess- I can't believe you guys camped all over England for two weeks... you guys are awesome! Thanks for sharing all the pictures- i loved all the Jane Austen references and was impressed with all the history you know. Can't wait to find out what you guys are having this time around- we are so excited for you guys and hope we get to see you sometime soon!
Wow. Sounds like a awesome trip. I had a chance to go to Warwick before they changed it (my friend Jaimie's great great great uncle (or something) was the Duke (or Earl) of Warwick and there was a portrait of him. Pretty cool. Too bad it's a theme park now.
We also went to a service at Westminster (and also were pysched about saving the admission). The children's choir performed at the service we attended. It was great.
What great pictures! It looks like you had a great time. I'm glad that you got to do something fun before he starts work!!! Hope he enjoys his work. Let us know what you are having! We are excited for you.
What an awesome trip. Did you plan it all out? How did you know where to go? All of the places you visited looked wonderful. I been to London once, but did not get out of the city. From your photos the rest of England looks beautiful.
P.S.
Can you put me on the email list for your sewing group. I know I'm not in the ward anymore, but would love to join you guys sometime. I will be out of town for 6 weeks, but maybe I can join you in Nov. when I get back.
valholt98@hotmail.com
I am so jealous and happy for you!!! Mostly happy =). What FUN!!!!! You cultured DiVa you!!!! Sterling is THE cutest little toe head EvEr!!!!! Miss you like crazy =)!!!!
What an amazing trip! I love all these pictures. So fun!
did the duck have kids? i'm on the case. i'll take care of it!!
what a fun trip. i'm very jealous. i think the most exotic place we have been is the penguin exhibit at sea world.
Wow! I finally got a minute to read these posts! What incredible pictures. I can't even believe they built those amazingly beautiful and sturdy castles and buildings in that time. Gorgeous! I am so sad that we weren't able to go! I can't believe how much you saw in 2 weeks!
I love that you guys got to see all those places! We have some of the EXACT same pictures in those beautiful spots.
I'm sad you didn't get to go inside Warwick Castle, though. When we went a few years ago Madaam Tussaud's had bought it and done all of these period wax sculptures everywhere. It was super cool. We must have missed the Dungeons and Dragons bit.
I can't believe what a good sport little Sterling looked like throughout your entire trip!
Post a Comment