Thursday, June 18, 2009

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!

I am one of those people who is OBSESSED with getting to know my neighbors. It has been a bit of a struggle out here living in an appartment, but I have done it. I know everyone's names and we greet each other and chat pretty often. I have even borrowed an egg or two when I have been in a pinch!

Why am I so obsessed? For many reasons. First, it makes me feel safe. Second, I feel like it is the neighborly thing to do. Third, since none of them are members of the church, it is a good way to fellowship. And last but not least, I am a tad bit nosey. I love figuring things out and by talking with them, you find out a lot. I have neighbors from, Turkey, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bolivia. It has been a lot of fun getting to know them and their traditions. Plus most of them have kids, and they LOVE Sterling Henry!

A new guy moved in a month ago. I saw him and tried to introduce myself. I didn't get much from the conversation. As the weeks went by, I never saw him, and I pay very close attention to who comes and goes in our complex. Last week we saw him and introduced ourselves. Older single guy, works long hours, makes complete sense why we never see him. On Tuesday I saw him again. We said hi, and he asked if I like Georgetown Cupcake... um yes, doesn't everybody??? (In case you haven't heard of them, it is only the best cupcake place around. The yummiest cupcakes with the best frosting) He proceeded to tell me that he would drop some by... Ok!

The next day I woke up and look what was wrapped up outside my door. 16 CUPCAKES!!!
It pays to know your neighbor!!!

9 comments:

The Pixton Family said...

JEALOUS! Why do men always give you delicious free food? Remember the guy at Noah's Bagels?

Brittany said...

That is so random! You are probably his only friend... hilarious. This makes me think I should get to know my neighbors a little after 4 years of living here.

Susan Fussell said...

I need to know more about this. Did he have extra cupcakes lying around? Did he make a trip to GC just to buy you 16 cupcakes? How awesome! Which one is your fav? We served them at the wedding. :-)

Eliza said...

I was half-expecting you to find out that he owns Gtown Cupcake or something. Or has a share in it... Don't you have a neighbor who owns some local place and has another home somewhere farther out??

I am like you. I always try to get to know my neighbors. Although somehow many of my neighbors turn out to be a little bit sketchy. (Case in point, next-door neighbors who moved out recently after some run-ins with cops, etc...you know the story...) On a lighter note, Sharon (downstairs TV-watching neighbor) went to the mall with me and the kids on Thursday. Yeah. Not kidding! She invited herself...but...I was glad to have her along! The rest of the story is even funnier, I'll have to complete it in person so I don't turn this comment into a novel.

I want to meet your cupcake-sharing neighbor! He sounds like a nice guy! My guess would be that he just likes you guys! You are pretty nice!

Monica said...

You go girl! Way to know your neighbors. Let the friendships fly and BRING ON SOME MORE CUPCAKES! Right?

It's Been a Day! said...

this is reason enough for me to talk to my neighbors! way to go jess! i'm so jealous. those look fantastic.

dannyhaley said...

Yummy! You are such a great neighbor! How did they taste? You are so nice and friendly!

Zach and Codi said...

Please... who wouldn't want to get to know you?
YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!

Ashley McNair said...

What an awesome story! You are inspiring me to be more neighborly.