Wednesday, July 14, 2010

THE MAN

My sweet grandpa, David Henry Hawkins passed away yesterday. He was 89 years old and lived his life to the very fullest. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor, a real cowboy, and the best storyteller ever. I remember going to his house a lot when I was little and he always had some little treat hidden away somewhere that he loved to share. He loved me, and I knew it!

For the last 2 years of his life, he lived with my parents so I got to spend a lot of time with him when I would go home. Every time I would say goodbye, he would tell me it would be the last. I never wanted to believe him. Although he will be greatly missed, we are all happy to think of him reunited with my grandma Vela, the love of his life!

Sterling Henry was named after him, as are MANY of his grandsons and great-grandsons. We all hope that our boys grow up to be just like him!

Sterling Henry meeting his namesake.

4 generations.

This is by far one of my favorite pictures with Grandpa. My dad and his father look a LOT alike and this picture just sums it all up with Sterling Henry.

Dellin never got to meet him. It's a good thing that I have so many incredible stories to share with my boys about their great-grandpa.

I will be going to Utah for his funeral on Saturday. All my siblings are going. It will be a quick trip but I wouldn't miss it for anything.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

that last picture is perfection! it's amazing how much your dad looks like grandpa!

Andrea Hatch said...

Those pictures are sooo sweet with your dad and your grandpa wish Sterling. Sounds like an amazing man and I'm glad you're going home this weekend.

Alisha Haight said...

So sorry for your loss:( I really like the picture of you and your grandfather and Dellin. You look so pretty:)

Alisha Haight said...

Whoops, I mean Sterling:) They look alike....

It's Been a Day! said...

i'm sorry for your loss. But what a great man your grandfather must have been.